Exercising in the cold

The temperature is dropping as we are into autumn and approaching winter. This can have a massive effect on ability to exercise and perform under more challenging conditions.

I discovered this the hard way cycling last January and found myself cramping and seizing up at the halfway point.  Knowing I had a further 15 miles cycling to get home I was fortunate to be with a buddy to slipstream and managed to painfully limp home at a snails pace in what became known as "the winter ride of death"!

A few factors contributed to my painful demise on this ride - I was inadequately dressed without windproof leggings and inappropriate base layering up top. I also had not eaten that morning and had no food or energy source with me; I found myself to be in poor fitness and my metabolic rate was low after some time avoiding cycling in bad weather and I became cold after sweating up a steep hill and cooling down while resting too long at the top. All this conspired against me to produce a potentially dangerous situation.


I did the same ride 2 weeks ago and found after a steep 20% incline I felt similar aches and stiffness coming over me but ate a banana and pressed on with my new windproof leggings and got home OK.

Your body will operate more efficiently when warm because cold will slow down the clearance of lactic acid and blood flow to muscles hence it is important to stay fit and warm up and be well insulated when performing high intensity workouts.

So here's some advice for exercising in the cold:

- expect to perform at a lower level than normal and build reserve into your workout
- warm up before hitting maximum output and graduate your speed at the beginning to let your breathing adjust to the temperature
- wear windproof and insulating clothing and wicking base layers to avoid rapid cooling
- eat a slow release food (eg porridge) before you head out and take energy food with you such as banana or muesli bar and or energy gel/drinks/bars
- don't stop for long, relayer your clothing if necessary when stopped in windy areas
- go with a buddy and phone so you can get back or get help/transport if something goes wrong

Dr Ben Sinclair Linked In Profile
Twitter: Follow @menshealthtips 
About Sinclair Health Ltd

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whole Man Theory

My Melanoma Scar Story

Integrated Health Pyramid Model of Health