My Melanoma Scar Story

Amazingly I am now back in the comfort of my own home, sitting on the sofa and watching "In the night garden" with my daughter.

 Mr Dewar the surgeon just called to check everything was going OK and to explain what happened while I was asleep - they took 2 nodes from the groin and he put in 3 layers of stitches into the leg wound and a lot of local anaesthetic. A call at home from the surgeon - that's what I call service!

After the anaesthetic I awoke feeling remarkably refreshed, like when you've had the perfect amount sleep in the afternoon.

My surgeon did a fantastic job of blending the scar into the normal tension lines of my leg skin, so that when I move it doesn't pull or stretch the internal stitches.  This is however not the finished product and he explained that a large leg scar can be uncomfortable to carry with movement and tightening over the years.

Because I am very fair skinned the scar is likely to end up rather purple, so I have to come up with a good story about how I was attacked by a savage tiger in the jungle and as I wrestled the beast into submission he gouged my leg with a wickedly sharp tooth... or something like that!

So far I cannot fault the NHS in dealing with this efficiently and quickly. Although the staff were pressured and busy today I felt well cared for and relaxed due to their professionalism, despite a bewildering array of operations and investigations dispersing from the ward I was on.

Thank-you Leeds General Infirmary!

Dr Ben Sinclair Linked In Profile
Twitter: Follow @menshealthtips 
About Sinclair Health Ltd

Comments

  1. Thinking and praying for you from afar Ben. Much love, Shirl & Francis Davy

    ReplyDelete
  2. wishing you a speedy recovery, liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. I have been wondering

    about this issue,so thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave constructive comments/links here. I will try to respond as soon as possible.
Your comment will not be shown if deemed offensive or inappropriate.

Popular posts from this blog

Whole Man Theory

Integrated Health Pyramid Model of Health