First triathlon report



So I completed the triathlon. During the event I was surprised that I had time and presence if mind to think about what I would do differently next time. Train more, not get a cold or d+v in the 2 weeks running up to the day; oh and get calf compression guards! 

The swim went ok but slower than I had hoped due to distraction of 99 swimmers front crawling  in a lake full of weeds... Can't say I enjoyed it but completed nonetheless and lesson learned is to get your heart rate up before maximal effort ( perhaps a quick sprint up and down pre-race and a swim up and down at the start) and to make sure your wetsuit is well fitted - mine had ridden up so that I found it hard to breathe and had to unzip during the swim. 

The transition was simpler than expected and good planning here minimised lost time; lay out your bike shoes and put helmet and glasses on your handlebars facing you; I had my compression gear underneath wetsuit so it was a quick slip out of bottom half of wetsuit ( baby oil helps at ankles and cuffs) then on with bike shoes and helmet.


The bike was good and with
my heart rate up I overtook many slow swimmers and made up time. I found I wanted water on the bike not energy drink. 

I did the bike transition quickly with elastic laces and ran off down the hill swinging my legs to get the thighs going. Unfortunately my left calf cramped before 1 km and I realised that this was due to poor drainage from the cancer surgery my right leg cramped soon after so I was not as fit as I had hoped; I slowed and stopped to stretch more than once in the run and lost about 5 minutes- I think calf calfguards would have helped here- after taking the Lymph nodes out of my groin this left leg swells in hot weather and during / after strenuous exercise. 


So all in all I was happy to complete my first triathlon coming 117 out of 300 but had hoped to do better; I was happy to complete the aim and prove I had survived cancer - now I aim to continue to train and get better times; balancing this drive with the realities of a young family and a busy job is a challenge and I don't want to become obsessed with my times- but I believe I can do better! 

Comments

  1. Great effort Ben. Looking forward to hearing what your next one will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben
    Inspirational, that's it. Just Inspirational.
    Amazing too actually. Amazing.
    Rich

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave constructive comments/links here. I will try to respond as soon as possible.
Your comment will not be shown if deemed offensive or inappropriate.

Popular posts from this blog

Whole Man Theory

My Melanoma Scar Story

Integrated Health Pyramid Model of Health