No Pain No Gain


Hill Climbing on the Coast to Coast Cycleroute in 2010
It's ten days since I had surgery for malignant melanoma on my left thigh.  So what has been happening?

There has been an overwhelming supportive response from friends and an encouraging 2000+ blog visitors from all over the world who have seen advice on signs of concerning skin changes and self checks.

My scar has been healing slowly and I have been able to do more in the last few days looked after my wife who has been a star.

However as a doctor I have not been a patient patient!  I was keen to get up and around early despite advice from the anaesthetist to take it easy; in the first few days I crashed and burned both times when I went out too soon!

Extra time has been a bonus. Lying on the sofa with my leg up I have become more geeky searching for parts to repair my mountain bike and tweeting more on mens health and health advice topics.

Yesterday I felt increased tingling pains in my leg and found that my stitches had come apart in the middle of the scar where it had been very tight. Today I was really limping and the scar looked infected so I started on some antibiotics and went back on the pain killers which I had ditched because of unwanted side effects!  Oh well - no pain, no gain.

Managing my expectations has been the hardest part, as when I awoke from the anaesthetic I felt the best I have ever felt, but since then the hard graft of the mental battle has started - trying to keep busy without doing too much, dealing with impatience to get back on my bike and out running. The wettest April for years has helped as there was little to do outside!

Every time I take a little step forward I gain more of my life back as I knew it; then the challenges of pain, boredom, infection and immobility have to be wrestled with as they occasionally rear their heads.

In all of this  I can see the hand of my Creator at work - even down to my surgeon sharing our faith, timing with my wife on maternity leave and able to look after me, spending more time with my 9 month old daughter seeing her get 2 new teeth and learn to push a trolley; we have a great Church community and friends here in York supporting us. God is good.

Dr Ben Sinclair Linked In Profile
Twitter: Follow @menshealthtips 
About Sinclair Health Ltd

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whole Man Theory

My Melanoma Scar Story

Integrated Health Pyramid Model of Health