Flintoff Beats Depression: speaking out

© Topnews In
I saw Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff on the BBC breakfast this morning ( I never watch TV over breakfast) but I am between jobs, doing some temporary work from home and enjoying my baby girl growing up.

Flintoff revealed that even star sportsmen and hardmen like Vinnie Jones suffer from depression and mental health problems and around 1 in 10 admit to this. See his recent Sun article here

In reality around 1 in 4 of the general population - myself included - suffer from some form of mental problems, ranging from mild seasonal depression to anxiety or more extreme psychoses and psychological phobias which can seriously affect performance.

My family has a long history of bipolar disorder or manic depression/mania which is inherited through my Grandfathers line on my fathers side.  Everyone in subsequent generations after him have been affected to a greater or lesser extent and have both highs and lows but also moments of brilliance. In every generation since my grandfather someone has been put away in the nuthouse for a time for their own safety. I have thankfully not needed this drastic remedy but it is said that many successful individuals have 'a touch of mania' by family inheritance. I hope to remain in the "touch of mania" group while avoiding the insane asylum!

It is interesting however that in sportsmen only 1 in 10 are said to suffer from mental illness and this may be due to the anti-depressant effect of strenuous and sustained exercise.

Exercise was always an intended part of human makeup, but is lacking in our modern mechanised and electronic lives.  Maybe this has contributed to the increase in mental illness over the last 50 years.

Exercise can help to beat mild to moderate depression and is proven to be as effective as antidepressants if it is used regularly.

Check out another article about exercise and depression here but remember some forms of depression need a wider approach and the best thing is to discuss your problems with your mates, then go to your GP for help.

Freddie Flintoff: Hidden Side Of Sport is on BBC1 at 10.45pm tonight


Dr Ben Sinclair Linked In Profile
Twitter: Follow @menshealthtips 
About Sinclair Health Ltd

Comments

  1. after the program I revise my theory both 1 in 10 sportsman and 1 in 10 in the general population get anxiety or depression; so exercise cannot be enough on its own; the pressures of life or triggers must also be a factor

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave constructive comments/links here. I will try to respond as soon as possible.
Your comment will not be shown if deemed offensive or inappropriate.

Popular posts from this blog

Whole Man Theory

Integrated Health Pyramid Model of Health

My Melanoma Scar Story