#BEATTHEBELLY Daily Tip: When It All Falls Down


Some plan for the worst, then anything that happens is a bonus.

Some spend all their time planning and never get to the execution phase.

Others never plan at all.

We know from experience that in life accidents happen; some events can't be planned for.

You may have noticed a few gaps in the days on the blog recently.

A few unexpected events have happened recently which pulled the rug out and really challenged my resolve to stay on track with my diet and exercise goals.

So how can we prepare for the unexpected?
What happens to your ideal regime when it all falls down around you?

My challenge was a family emergency on top of the anticipation of becoming a dad any day now.

We had a call in the night and rushed to the bedside of a close relative who had been involved in a hit and run. He is a father of young children, about my age and one of my closest friends.

At that point when we didn't know if he would wake up or if he was going to move or speak or recognise people, all of my other plans went out of the window. Eating and sleeping and exercise just disappeared in the moment. Everything else was put on hold as we tried to offer support and care to him and his family.

Hospitals dont tend to provide healthy snacks and this weekend of high adrenaline levels totally threw me off track. Even when I came back home I was eating the wrong things for comfort, drinking in the week and snacking at the wrong times. I put on a 1 kg in 2 weeks, stopped exercising and slept at strange times as my sleep pattern was put out by disturbed dreams.

Now I am pleased to say things are looking up; my relative has made an incredible recovery after brain surgery to remove a blood clot after a skull fracture - he still has a way to go but its great to be able to talk on the phone and feel the blessing that he is still with us.

To celebrate I went to the gym and absolutely beasted myself on the weights lifting more than I normally do out of sheer restless energy. I ran my fastest 2 mile time and have regained my original weight. Now I ache but feel back on track.

So how can we plan for the unexpected?

I would suggest considering a few options

a) don't bother beating yourself up when things are tough it only makes you feel worse
b) strengthen your resolve to sort it out in small steps
c) confess your failures to your buddy
d) live with buffers in your life so you have space to use when it all falls down
e) take healthy snacks with you at stressful times

I love dialogue in the Batman film "The Dark Night" when Michael Caine playing Alfred the butler tells a broken Batman "Why do we fall Sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up"

Lastly remember to pick yourself up as soon as you can.

Dr Ben Sinclair
Sinclair Health Limited
https://www.optimiseclinic.co.uk
Twitter: @menshealthtips
Linked In: http://ow.ly/5iykm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whole Man Theory

My Melanoma Scar Story

Integrated Health Pyramid Model of Health